Well I can't believe its already been over 3 weeks since I had little Scarlet. I realized today I really need to write the whole story down or I may forget it, so here it is. This is going to be SUPER LONG because I use this blog as a journal... so if you want to read a really long story, go ahead. If not, just scroll down to the pictures. :)
On January 30th (39 weeks 5 days) I had been having contractions all night long, but never as consistent as one would want... so I made it through the night and had them through that day as well. It was a Sunday. I ended up missing church because of the pain. That day we went over to my family's house to grab some food. The contractions were still coming pretty consistently... but I didn't think much of it. That night I finally couldn't take it anymore. The contractions became about 5 minutes apart but sometimes longer...and we were beginning to wonder if this was the real thing. At 3 in the morning we called Dr. Alejo and told him what was going on. He said "well lets go to the hospital, were gonna have this baby!" Taylor told me what the doctor said and I began to feel super nervous! We ran around the house grabbing all the last minute items we needed for the hospital and headed out! We got there and I was put in a room to monitor my contractions. They were consistently about 5 minutes apart. After a little while a nurse came in to check me... (the worst thing about being pregnant... I would say!) I was only dilated to a 1 1/2. When she told me this I was like oh no, they are going to send me home... They decided to give it a little more time and had the doctor come in to see what he thought. Dr. Alejo came in and asked "aren't you 41 weeks?" I said "no, I am 39 and 6 days" He was surprised, guess he got his numbers mixed a little. I don't think he would have had us go in if he would have realized how far along I really was. But anyways he told us we could go back home and go to my appointment tomorrow and he could put something in me to help the dilation or I could be started. Taylor and I at this point felt fine about being started because I was one day away from 40 weeks and I was having contractions anyways so we made the decision... WE WERE GOING TO HAVE THIS BABY! They took me in a different room and as I went to get on the bed I started to feel light headed and wasn't so sure I was ready to have a baby! I didn't know what I was doing or what to expect... Tay calmed me down. The nurse soon came in to start my IV. She told me she liked to do them in the wrist and took hold of my left wrist. All of the sudden I felt one of the worst pains I can honestly say I have ever felt. It seemed like she was stabbing my wrist with a knife. It hurt so bad tears were rolling down my face. After about 15 seconds of the worst pain ever I asked her if she was done?!? She said "no I couldn't get the vain" and pulled it out. So all of that pain for nothing! She then moved to the other side of me. I thought I was going to pass out. She then decided to put it in my hand and seriously it was 100 times less painful. The whole wrist thing was the worst idea ever. Alright so while she was putting the IV in my hand Taylor all the sudden turned ghostly white and kinda greenish. He had to hurry and sit down. He almost passed out!!! and Taylor is NOT like that at all... He said it was the weirdest thing but he couldn't take how much pain I was in and how bad it was hurting me. Also that when she had the needle in my hand she was pumping blood out of my vein and blood was dripping out. He just couldn't take it. It was pretty weird to see him like that! He did great throughout the rest of the birth... just couldn't handle that part. So I was all hooked up to IV's.
 |
| I ate about 10 popsicles!!! |
By this time it was around like 7:00 AM. The contractions were very regular now(like 4 or 5 minutes apart) so they started the pitosin. Taylor and I just hung out after that, we watched Aladin and Miscongeneality. My mom and others started coming to visit around noon. Everything was going along nicely and around 4:00 I was dilated to a 4! YAY. It was about this time that I decided I wanted the epidural. I had had enough of the suffering from the contractions. I was done with it. I told the nurse I was ready for it and she said the anesthesiologist just went into a C-Section. So I had to wait a little while longer. During the waiting process my water broke! That was the weirdest feeling in the world!! I didn't even know what to think! Finally the doctor came in and it was time for the epidural. Now that was an interesting experience! It wasn't as bad as I imagined, but it was still very weird and a little painful. I was very grateful after wards though because I could no longer feel any pain! After the epidural was in I laid back on the bed and felt the medicine kick in. My feet started to get cold and numb and it traveled up to my hips. From that time on I would get checked every couple of hours and I ended up remaining a 5 for the next hours. My body was not dilating anymore! So I just had to lay there hoping it would keep going! The nurse would come in every half hour and turn me from one side to another in hopes that the baby would turn the right way instead of face-up like she had been for the past months... (It obviously didn't work) But it was hilarious because my legs were ticklish from the epidural so every time her and Taylor would grab my leg and hips to turn me and I would dye laughing! After a while of laying there I started to feel really sick, like I was going to throw up. I started sweating really bad and had a wash cloth on my forehead. I laid there covering my face wondering when the vomiting would happen. The nurse came in and gave me some medicine and after a while I felt much better... I didn't even throw up! Around 9:00 I asked my Mom to say a prayer to help my body get ready to have the baby. I knew I really could use the faith of my Mother since I had been in labor for so long and was already feeling exhausted. About 30 minutes later the nurse came in to check me and I was at a 10!!! haha. It was pretty amazing! Now normally at this point a woman would start the hard labor and pushing, but because of my heart they wanted the baby to rest and descend on her own so it wouldn't be as hard on my heart. We were all just sitting in the room waiting and all the sudden the heart rate on the baby monitor went like this... dun dun dun dun dun dun.... dun.... dun.........................................dun................................dun............................................dun........................... Her heartrate went from 150 (where it should be) to around 50 during my contraction. The whole room got dead silent as we listened to her dropping heart rate. Taylor and my mom rushed to the monitor to see what was going on. My stomach started turning and I was really worried... We called the nurse and she came in. She called the Doctor and he headed over to the hospital. From this point on every time I would have a contraction the baby's heart rate would drop and get super slow and low. It was really really really scary!!! After a little while I couldn't take it anymore and broke down. We asked everyone to leave so Taylor and I could have some alone time. I started to crying to him and we said a prayer together. I was so worried about the baby I could barely even stand it! The doctor got there just about a half hour after her heart rate started dropping. He told us it was time to start pushing! Pushing was the weirdest thing and I couldn't seem to get the hang of it for the first little while. I thought every vein in my face was going to burst! Every time after I would push the baby's heart rate would be so low I could barely hear it and Dr. Alejo would talk to the baby and say "come on baby, get your heart rate back up". It made me even more worried. It was just so scary to know I needed to get her out and I physically couldn't do it... at least not yet. After pushing for over a half hour Dr. Alejo decided we needed to have a C-Section room ready just in case. At the time there was not one available so we needed to stop with the pushing for a half hour. They left the room and Taylor and I just sat there. I didn't like the idea of just sitting there waiting while my little baby's heartrate was dropping like that. I asked Taylor for a blessing and he started to give me one. He said that I would be able to have the strength to deliver on my own and the baby would be alright... during the blessing we heard voices coming to the room and the doctor came back in. The blessing was interrupted. As the doctor was walking in Taylor whispered "in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen". He finished the blessing. ;) The doctor said they couldn't wait on a room, the baby's heart rate was still dropping and we just needed to get her out. We began the pushing again. It got to the point where I was pushing so hard and he told me it was pretty much now that I had to do it, I had to get her out. I was trying so hard and I was so scared. I knew I needed to get the little baby out so that her heart rate would be ok and she wouldn't be so stressed out! The doctor looked at me and said I know you can do it! All the sudden I had this burst of energy. I pushed as hard as I could and just kept pushing and pushing... not even during a contraction! They could finally see her head and I gave it one last push and there she was!!! It was the most amazing thing I have ever done. She was beautiful. The poor little thing had the biggest cone head! I felt so bad like I wish I could have gotten her out sooner. I was already feeling the pains of a mother not wanting her child to hurt. They placed her on my stomach and Taylor cut the cord! I held her little body on me and she screamed so loud and squirmed all over the place! They then took her over to the table without placing her on my chest. I was going to have them put her on my chest when she was born, but they only do it if the baby is alright. So when they took her I became even more worried!!! They had to take her because she had pooped with all the stress and could have swallowed it, so they had to pump her stomach. Taylor went over to where she was and was able to watch her. After a little while she was finally placed in my arms. It was the coolest feeling in the world. It was so amazing, she was perfect! After a little while the grandparents came in (it was now 2 AM!) They all got to love on her and take pictures and kiss her and then they headed home to bed! Taylor and I were moved to another room and got to be with our little baby all night. She is beautiful. She is everything we ever wanted and could have imagined. So after 21 hours of labor she was born at 12:56 AM on Tuesday morning the 1st of February! She was 6 pounds 11 ounces! Just a tiny little thing. It was the greatest experience to bring such a sweet little innocent spirit into the world. She has brought so much love with her, its truly amazing. She makes me want to be a better person and to try to be perfect... :) I am trying! :)
I couldn't have done this without the help and love of my best friend Taylor. He was so sweet to me throughout the whole birth process. He knew exactly what to say to me during the labor and really helped me feel I could do this! This was the most amazing experience we have ever been through together!

Welcome to the world Scarlet. Your Daddy and I love you more than we could ever say! It was a scary journey getting you here, but we did it and we are loving holding you and we are soooo blessed to have you in our lives!!!
Also thanks to everyone who came to visit!!! We are so loved!!!
8 comments:
She is so beautiful! Congrats you guys! There is nothing more amazing than having a baby. And they grow up so fast! Enjoy every second with her!
She is perfect!! :) Enjoy every little moment. It really goes fast!
I'm so glad things went okay and that she was able to come right when you needed her to come...and that you didn't have to have a c-section!!! She is beautiful and I am SO happy for you! Congratulations you guys! :o)
She is so cute and im glad we had them on the same day! So fun:)
That sounds like quite the venture to get your little girl here. Glad that she is here safe for you guys and that you made it through ok too. She's such a darling little baby!
Oh I loved hearing that story. I am glad it all worked out. She is such a cutie. Btw I have another bag of clothes that I need to get to you!!
Love the whole story! I can't believe that she turned out to be so little. She is adorable. Can't wait to snuggle her again soon!
K so call me crazy, but I didn't know you could eat Popsicles! I thought strictly ice chips! :( Loved hearing about your story and hopefully the weather will warm up so we can see her again!! :)
Post a Comment